Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Favorite Typing Game- testing by my daughters



   Activity 1:  Cup Stacking on ABCYA
   Activity 2:  Dance Mat Typing 

   Cost:  Free
   Website:  ABCya!.com
   Website:  Dance Mat Typing

Since computer skills in our elementary schools are not actively taught.  I am always asking my daughters to practice their keyboarding skills at home.  Schools are not teaching the skills, yet by the time students are in 6th grade the state wants them to be typing at 30 Words Per Minute (WPM).  Impossible when they don't learn this at school so we are supplementing at home.  My daughters are not so excited for typing so I give them a variety of choices (I create shortcuts on the desktops for quick easy access).

The ABCYA Cup Stacking and the Dance Mat Typing are their favorite sites!  I tend to like the Dance Mat more because it shows the proper fingers to use.  Even after they play the games you could start charting their WPM by giving them a Typing Test to see where they are at: Typing Test Here.   There are all kinds of other keyboarding games on ABCYA and other sites including:   ABCYA Keyboarding,  Learn to Type (requires account).  I will continue to add more as I find good resources.  Happy Typing!

No comments:

Post a Comment