Friday, January 17, 2014

Must have App for every Teacher and for anyone who wants free e-books!

iPad App:  Overdrive
Cost:  Free
Rating by Jules ~ 5 Star
Grade:  K-12
Difficulty Level- Easy
Materials Needed:

  1. City or County Library Card
  2. Bluetooth Speaker
  3. Device to play audio book

Recently, I was in an English Room at our High School.  Students were quiet, seemed tired and not engaged. I noticed the book that they were "supposed" to be reading.  It was the "The Hunger Games".  I thought to myself- oh, I love that book! I spoke with the teacher about the book and how I loved it.  He was frustrated that the kids were not engaged.  I mentioned to the Teacher that possibly playing an audio book chapter occasionally in class would help excite the kids for reading the next chapter.  He agreed and I recommended downloading the Overdrive App.  I purchased him a Bluetooth speaker at Rite Aid for $20.  He downloaded the app on his ipad, added his library card numbers and downloaded the audio book all in the same day. The kids LOVE listening to it in class!  This idea has encouraged them to read on to the next chapter!

No comments:

Post a Comment